Friday, January 22, 2010

Sailors Take Warning

My mom taught me a saying when I was a child that I’ve always remembered: 

Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.

Red sky at night, sailors delight.

447

While we were in Nevada, my husband and I stepped outside one morning and we saw a gorgeous sky of purples, reds, oranges, pinks, and yellows.   I hurried to get my camera out of my bag to take this picture.  The colors faded within minutes.

Apparently there is meteorological truth to this saying. A reddish sky in the morning indicates water vapor in the atmosphere;  most weather comes from the west.  A red sky at night usually indicates good weather on the way.

The weather channel was calling the big storms coming into the area “The Western Wallop.”     Snow and rain were on the way. 

Unfortunately, the bad weather followed us home, however our skies have been completely overcast so we haven’t gotten to see any beautiful warning overhead.

No comments: