Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cow Plop

What I’m going to write about today is true. I am not making this up.

My sister Tonja lives in a very small town. Every year this town has a celebration in August called Kraut and Wurst Days. The festival raises money for the volunteer fire department. It’s actually quite fun. The parade is long and gives out more candy than any other parade I’ve ever attended. They have a beauty pageant, volleyball tournaments, a street dance, games, wagon rides, and lots of sauerkraut and bratwursts.

We’ve pulled our pop-up camper to her house and camped in her back yard a few times for this small town festival.

I could not believe my eyes though the first time I attended Kraut and Wurst Day and went to the Cow Plop.

Yes, Cow Plop.

A cow plop is kind of a lottery. People buy tickets which correspond to a grid painted on the ground and fenced around. A cow is released from a trailer into the fenced grid. It poops. The person who bought the square where the cow first poops, wins. There are rules about how to tell who wins if more than one square on the grid is lucky.

Last time I was at this event (yes, I’ve been a number of times) they released a calf first and then the cow later. I’m not sure why. I took the photo below of the calf, I didn’t get any of the cow because it started raining. The rain didn’t deter the spectators though.

I’m not making this up, a lot of people show up to see the cow poop.

And they cheer.

I did.

And I didn't even have a ticket.

268

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have seen this before..with chickens..it is really fun to watch!! One of those little small town things that is just plain fun:)