Saturday, January 3, 2009

Snoopology

I recently read a book called "Snoop" by Sam Gosling, PhD.D. It's a book by a psychologist and his research of people by examining the things we own and the way we arrange them.

Dr Gosling can tell a lot about a person by looking at their bedrooms, web sites and ipods. Dr Gosling calls it the art of snoopology. There was also a short personality test in the book that measures the big five personality traits. The big five traits are openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness and neuroticism. When I took the test, I found out I was pretty normal!!! The one scale I was pretty low on was neuroticism, which basically means I'm more laid back than most.

There were certain things that observers can use to make judgements on a someone's personality. Formal Dress indicates conscientiousness; refined appearance, friendly expression, self-assured expression, and extensive smiling all indicate extraversion as do relaxed walking, swinging arms when walking, loud and powerful voice, and not avoiding the camera. To find someone agreeable, look for soft facial lineaments and friendly expression.

If you are looking for any easy read and interested in sharpening your perceptions, I recommend this book.

No comments: