Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fern Leaf Peony

Meet Dave.

DSC_1236 I see Dave every workday when he comes in to clean our offices.     We chat.   I’ve known him for years.    Knowing  him for many years,  I feel like I’ve got a good grasp on what kind of person Dave is.    He’s a good guy.   Hard working.   Honest.   

Last summer, Dave and his wife came over to my house one evening to show me their motorized bikes and see my garden.   I promised to share some zucchinis with them when they grew.   They offered to share some flowers with me.   Later, towards fall,  Dave gave me something that looked like dried up sticks  and told me to plant them in the ground.    Because I know Dave,  I knew  he wasn’t lying when he said it would grow.    I did think he was terribly misinformed.     It really was just some dried out sticks.   I didn’t hold out much hope. 

Still,  I put the dried out sticks in the  ground and watered them and those dried up sticks didn’t cross my mind again…until this spring,  when I saw  the gorgeous foliage of a Fern Leaf Peony.    

DSC_1337

I’ve wanted a Fern Leaf Peony since the first time I saw their feathery greenery and beautiful flowers.    I was very surprised and pleased that those dried up sticks had some life left in them.

One of the best things about gardening is being able to share, whether it is fruit, vegetables, herbs or flowers;  gardeners seem to be some of the most generous people.   

DSC_2198

I guess Dave did know what he was talking about after all.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are very lucky! He shared some very expensive plants with you!! :)

Missy said...

That is so neat looking Mary!! I have never seen them nor even heard of them. WOW, neat though!!!

I can't wait to see what your flowers will look like on them! I am off to google them to see.

Thanks for sharing your photos!!