Monday, August 24, 2009

Air Show

On Saturday, the Air Show was in town.

This blue and yellow bi-plane was fun to watch. The pilot was upside down, right-side up and sideways. He flew within feet of the ground and then came back up high for more acrobatics.

Then came the Blue Angels.

They were very loud. They also fly up to 700 miles per hours during the show, which is why most of my pictures look like this.....




You can see in one of the pictures I got a shot of the contrails. That means I was pretty close to getting a picture of the actual planes.

I've got quite a few more cloud pictures but I'm not going to show them all here.

It would eventually get embarrassing.

I did get a couple of pictures of the Blue Angels.



I was curious about the Blue Angels so I did some research. The Blue Angels mission is to enhance Navy recruiting. It also turns out that being a Blue Angel is a very dangerous job. According to the statistics I found, 26 Blue Angels pilots had been killed in air show or training accidents and there have been 262 pilots in the squad's history, which gives this job a 10% fatality rate. The Navy didn't use any of those stats on their site for recruiting though.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You did get some great photographs! Way to go! Uffda those are some statistics:(