Monday, July 6, 2009

Used to be Secret Sweet Treats

Last year my daughter found out that there are some little things her dad and I don't share with her.

She was surprised.
Perhaps even shocked..
.
But since the cat is out of the bag, I have no qualms about sharing the secret here.
.
My husband and I have, over the years, made homemade ice cream sandwich cookies, put them in freezer and not shared them with our kids. We had a few reasons we kept them for ourselves. We used expensive, what I refer to as "much to good for children ice cream", and knew they wouldn't appreciate it; we also knew that if the kids knew about these, they'd be gone in one day; finally, it was something we did as a couple and it was fun to keep it a secret from the kids!

In fact, if I hadn't been caught red-handed with chocolate cookie coffee ice cream sandwich in hand last summer, it would still be our little secret.
.
Normally, I use a premium coffee ice cream but I was experimenting, so I used a regular ice cream.
.
You could make the cookies from scratch but I love these brownie cookies from the grocery store.
They are super yummy. Obviously, you can use whatever flavor of cookie or ice cream you like.


If you buy a box of ice cream, it's easy to slice the ice cream up after it is a bit soft. This is peanut butter ice cream. Coffee ice cream is my favorite.

I cut out the ice cream with the top of a glass so it would fit nicely on the cookie. If you get ice cream in a pint container, cut open the container and slice it. It will already be in round shapes so you don't need to cut it into rounds.

Top the cookie with the ice cream and top it with another cookie.They taste great right away or if you prefer the cookies frozen, wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. If you are hiding them from your kids, put the wrapped cookies in a non-see-through plastic container labeled "leftovers"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a yummy treat!

SDS

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the sweets thing full of great memories.mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary! Heehee on your secret! I was quite amused.

I added your blog to my Google Reader - look forward to reading it!

Anjea

Missy said...

OMG, that is so funny Mary!!

Made me nervous at first that your blog was gonna get XXX rated for a minute there!! LOL!!

I am gonna have to make some of these wonderful little treats, thanks for the tip!!

Good luck hidding themin the freezer now though the kids will be in there every time they are home now, bummer huh!! lol