Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mouse Cake

It's my birthday today!

I started thinking back to my birthday last year when I turned 30.... ahem, 40. My husband decided that he would make me a special dessert. The dessert was some sort of trifle, it had layers of chocolate cake and Baileys Irish creme and I'm not sure what else. Jay was in the kitchen, putting together the cake. PD, our dog, was but a puppy then. He loved to go in and out of the house (still does.) I was sitting in the family observing Jay make the trifle and let the dog in and out.

And here is why we are eating birthday dessert out this year...

PD came to the door with something in his mouth. Jay stopped cutting the cake apart to take it from his mouth and walk through the house to the garage with it. He was shielding what was in his hand from me. When he came back into the house, he explained that PD had brought a dead vole (which is kind of like a mouse but they live in the lawn) to him and he threw it away in the garage.

And then, my husband walked back over to the island where he reached for the cake and I screamed.... JAY, WASH YOUR HANDS, just in time.

So, he did.

I hate to think what would have happened had I not been there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, could I get that recipie minus the mouse? Is there a subsitute one could use that is less rodenty?