Friday, May 13, 2011

Shoes on or off in the house?

Shoes on or off in the house?

I understand this may be a regional thing.  Almost everyone I know takes their shoes off when they walk into someone’s house.    I always do, it’s how I was raised and it’s how my kids were raised.   It truly doesn’t bother me in the least if a visitor wears their shoes in my house though, I never ask,  people just take their shoes off around here.   It’s typical to see huge piles of shoes at the doorway when I have family over.

My sister is raising her kids the same way.   She has locker storage in her garage for each member of her family to take off their coats and shoes before they come into the house.  .

DSC_0150

I visited my sister a few days ago,  I used the back door because I walked into her house through the garage.   I noticed a small cardboard sign.    This sign was meant for her kids, not her guests, but it was so funny I have to share.

DSC_0148

I love the smiley face after the “Thanks.”   I thought this was such a creative reminder for her kids.  They’ve got a fun mom.

The sign didn’t scare me either.   I walked right up those stairs with my shoes on.      I took them off as soon as I got into the house though.      DSC_0152

I kind of like my eyebrows.

4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Off we always take ours off. I have a hard time asking "the elderly" to take off their shoes..so we do let people in the house with their shoes on sometimes.
At our Dentist in Farming Country..you must take your shoes off and put on slippers or booties..I think perhaps someone carried cow manure in.
Your sisters sign is cute..are you going mushroom hunting? :)

Matthew Celestine said...

It is worth asking visitors to remove their shoes- it keeps homes a lot cleaner.

I have an whole blog on this subject: Shoes Off at the Door, Please You might like to take a look.

Missy said...

I saw this the last time we were over there too and Randy of course wore his shoes all over the house just because he wanted to see what she would do...you know Randy!! LOL!! The sign was so cute though!!

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

I wish people would take their shoes off but they don't - oh well. I couldn't put up a sign like that but I do think it would be effective!!