Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ginger Farm Animals

animals

Photo from Better Homes and Gardens website

Many Christmases ago I started making Gingerbread Farm Animals. I found the instructions for a barn and animals in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Both my grandfathers were farmers and lived within a few miles of me growing up and this reminded me of them.

I’ve never made the barn, silo, and fence but I do make the animals. The gingerbread animals are crisp and not too sweet. My sister-in-law Missy “reminds” me to make them each year. Then she tells me it’s my fault that she addicted because I fed them to her when she was pregnant.

I made some to bring to her house when I go over for dinner tonight.

054

063

This recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes a lot of cookies. I rolled out and baked about 1/3 of the dough today.

Ginger Cookie Dough

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup molasses
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 4-1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

1. In a large mixer bowl, beat butter and shortening with electric mixer on medium speed until softened. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, molasses, and lemon juice; beat until well combined.

2. Combine flours, ginger, allspice, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to margarine mixture; beat well. Divide dough into 4 equal portions; wrap each in clear plastic wrap. Chill 3 hours or until firm enough to roll.

3. Roll dough, cut out with cookie cutters.

4. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes

Royal Frosting

Quantity: 3 cups

Ingredients:

  • 3 egg whites (I substitute meringue powder)
  • 1 16-ounce package powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Instructions:

1. In a large mixer bowl, combine egg whites, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with electric mixer on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes,

I thin this frosting with quite a bit of water so it is easier to use to decorate the animals. I also prefer to put the frosting in a plastic squeeze bottle. You can buy mustard and ketchup bottles that work perfectly and are less messy than decorating bags and tips. If you choose not to use the squeeze bottles, keep the frosting in the bowl covered with wet paper towels to prevent it from drying out as you work. The frosting can be refrigerated overnight in a tightly covered container; stir before using.

Do not stack the cookies together until the frosting has dried completely. I learned this from experience, many, many years ago; I made these cookies for my Grandpa for Christmas. On my Christmas goodie platter, two cows stuck together in a “compromising position” causing me much embarrassment, my Grandpa, the cattle farmer, thought it was hilarious and got a huge laugh out of it.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Mary these are the best ever!! Thank you so much for making me some!!! Luv Ya!!

Summer said...

Totally reminds me of PW!! - I think you are more creative tho!

I made molasses/ginger cookies this weekend too - bells, santa and Christmas trees (these are for Dorian's Christmas program on Tues. night)