Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Slice of Heaven – Sweet & Savory Pizza

I’ve loved pizza since my mom made it at home when I was a little girl. When I was in high school, my friends and I used to hang out at a pizza shop where the pizza had really gooey cheese. I was thrilled to find that I could have pizza delivered at 2 in the morning when I went to college in the city. When I first got married, my husband and I had almost no money and bought super cheap frozen pizzas from the grocery store. When my kids were growing up, we ordered pizza most Friday nights. My tastes have changed, but I still love pizza .

I seldom make pizza at home, I like it delivered. It’s just so easy.

For a special pizza at home; I make this pizza. It is very different from a typical pizza. It doesn’t have any sauce or meat. The crust is thin and crispy. This pizza makes an excellent appetizer. It’s different and delicious. Sweet and Savory. The recipe is from Taste of Home magazine .

Caramelized Onion Gorgonzola Pizza

1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed

2 Tablespoons butter

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings

3 Tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons dried basil

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 plum tomatoes, chopped

1 cup shredded mozzarella

3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola

2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup pitted Greek Olives, chopped

Divide the bread dough in half. Press each portion onto a greased 12 inch pizza pan; build up edges slightly. Prick dough several times with a fork. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. 014

Meanwhile, in large skillet over medium heat, melt butter with brown sugar. 010Add onions, cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. 008006017011 

 

 

 

 

Brush dough with olive oil. Sprinkle the basil, oregano and garlic powder over the dough. 020 Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.025

Arrange onions and tomatoes over crusts; sprinkle with cheeses and olives.

028 030

Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown.

040 Enjoy!

No comments: