Sunday, September 20, 2009

Renaissance

My husband and I, along with our dog PD, went to the Renaissance Festival this weekend. It was a spur of the moment trip and it turned out to be great.

We saw a glass blower. He was making a wine glass. We watched him for quite a while. It appeared to be a very labor intensive and time consuming project. He said that the most dangerous time in the process was removing it from the metal rod and if something were to go wrong, that is the point which it would do so. And, just as he said, in the end, the glass fell apart when he tried to remove it.


There was singing and dancing with fire.



This woman seemed to be completely comfortable dancing in front of a crowd with her fire sticks. That's what I call body confidence.

In the middle of the walkway we came upon a human bench. He kept yelling out "place to sit." I didn't see anyone sit down for long.

We watched jousting. The horses were huge but they could move quickly and were decked out with braided hair and costume. The actors and actresses did a great job interacting with the crowd. This is William. Our side of the stadium was assigned to be his cheering section. We got to boo for the other competitors. It felt wrong, but fun, so I did it.


The announcer had a mustache my husband admired. I told my husband that it looked fine on this guy but there is no possible way a mustache like that would be living in my house.

The competitors must have been literally roasting in their suit of armor. It was about 90 degrees outside.

They moved in for the kill. Being this was a festival. No one actually died. It was fun to watch.



These kids in the mud made me laugh out loud. I bet they had a great day.


They weren't the only ones in the mud. These guys were a hoot.


Hands down, the Renaissance Festival is the best place on earth for one of my favorite things, people watching.

This is the definitely the best people watching place on earth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Merry Mary, That was some flowing moustache on that one guy..I can see why your hubby was impressed! Great photos, it looks to be a lot of fun..we have never been there so I really enjoyed your take on it! :)