Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Merry Mary how does your garden grow?

I'm trying a couple new things this year.


Vegetables and Herbs.



This herb garden is a small planter off my back deck. I'm experimenting with something called "square foot gardening." I made the frame, and yes, I'm aware the pine lumber won't hold up long but I'm not committed to this way of gardening long term until I see how it goes - so the pine works for me. The "soil" in the box is a mixture of compost, vermiculite, and peat moss and I didn't dig up the grass before putting it down, the planter is set on a big piece of cardboard over the grass. The box is sectioned off into 1 foot square areas for planting.



I know this whole operation sounds a little sketchy but I'm giving it a try. I've got herbs in half of the squares and spinach and lettuce in the remainder.


On the other side of the house, I've started a traditional garden. We rented a sod cutter and took the sod up from the garden area. What a amazing machine. It cuts the sod from the ground and all we had to do it pick it up and move it out. And, man, is that stuff HEAVY. Good thing I had my husband and son and their muscles doing much of the hard work here. This is where the vegetables are going.




I'm anxious to see things coming up and growing and then harvesting from my gardens.


I've been daydreaming about a grilled chicken dish that uses fresh basil. I can't wait to go out to my garden and pick some for it. Perhaps I'll throw some zucchini and yellow summer squash from my garden on the grill with the chicken and then slice up some ripe red tomatoes.
.

As of tonight, the garden is tilled and planted. I really hope things grow.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks good Mary! If you plant any chives..plant them in a pot! Cut the seed heads off immediately.. can you tell I have chives all over! Your garden spot looks nice and sunny, you should be able to grow some fantastic tomatoes..I miss the valley soil for tomato plants! Mint..keep mint in a pot too. I used to grow several different kinds of basil, Purple Ruffles was especially nice, but I cook the old way..with out herbs..when I cook.:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Merry Mary, check out my area voices blog about the picnic in Fargo at Lindenwood..it would be very nice to have you join us..you are invited! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have been busy girl!!! I cannot wait to come on over and have you make that dish for me it sounds yummy!!